Monday, October 13, 2008

It's the medicine...not the 3yr old

As most of you know, Brenden is hypo-thyroid. He has been since he was in my belly :) Here's a little background...

At my 20wk sonogram they noticed he had a goiter (which is like a bump in your throat where your thyroid is-kinda like it's swollen). So they sent me to a high risk obgyn. The first thing he did was pull Brenden's blood to test his thyroid levels, which consists of sticking a massive needle in my belly to draw his blood. We knew then, he was hypo-thyroid (his thyroid is there, but just does not produce enough "juice"). Which is supposed to come from your family, but neither Daniel or I have problems with it & don't know of anyone else who does, in our immediate family.

So, starting that week, up until I delivered, we had to go in every week to the hospital & they injected medicine into my belly for him. Which, again, consisted of having a big needle stuck into me, around my belly button-with um no numbing whatsoever! After the first couple injections, his goiter was gone! But he was still (& will always be) considered hypo-thyroid.

I had that done every week. It was the most painful thing ever. (Well, almost. I had kidney stones twice while I was pregnant. THAT was the most painful thing ever. I would not wish those upon anyone.) I did get to see him every week though, with the sonograms & that was awesome!

This apparently, is quite rare to find like this. Which, it seemed like we were always on the low end of the odds. I have O- blood. So, that meant I have to have Rogam shots at the beginning of my pregnancy & at delivery, because of the risks of mine & my baby's blood mixing. Well, since his blood was drawn every month to check his levels, I was able to get one of those shots every time we did that :) yay. Come to find out...he is O- also! Which there is only a 30% chance of the baby getting the mom's blood type. And, that meant, I did not need any of those Rogam shots after all.

I was induced 3 1/2 weeks early, so they could treat him out here. There were risks of him being deaf & having learning disabilities & other risks. He is the most perfect little man ever! We were so blessed to be able to catch this when we did & to treat it so soon & to have the most amazing doctor. He is perfectly healthy. He does have to take a pill everyday & will for the rest of his life, to regulate his thyroid levels. We go every few months to have his blood drawn & go to his Endocrin doc. There is a 25% chance of this happening with the other pregnancies, if there were to be one :) It just terrifies me to have to go through all that again, so if there were another one, it may be a while.

All this to say...Last week he was all over the place. He would get home from school & just not stop! He did not take any naps, which is totally not like him, & didn't eat very well. We had a feeling his levels were a little high, but weren't for sure. We thought he may just be acting like a 3yr old :) Today he had his Endocrin appt & his levels are high! That is exactly how he should be acting if they are high. So...his medicine is being lowered a little. It's just so amazing how many things your thyroid controls. And, it's amazing what doctors are able to do these days. We are so blessed & thankful to have such a wonderful & healthy little man!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Yay! Praise Jesus.

Renae said...

Yes, you are blessed. So thankful for the many wonderful good doctors that this world has.